Sunday 26 January 2014

Sunday Post: Update new aches & pains :(

 
 
This hasn't been a very busy week for me. I've only had a couple of lessons at college; so not having much else on during the day I thought I'd spend a bit more time in the gym than normal & focus on maybe switching up my routine a bit. Up until November last year running was always a big part of my exercise plan. I loved it & would always do between 20 minutes to an hour every day on the treadmill doing either HIIT or slower, steadier runs depending on how I felt. But towards the end of November I ended up getting a really painful blister on my toe which hurt really bad when I ran. Running with a limp & wincing made me look a bit odd! I decided to stop running until the blister went then add it back into my routine. For around a week I really missed running & felt a bit lost having to substitute it but then when the blister went & I could start running again I just wasn't that interested in it anymore. The thought of doing my usual hour running felt like a chore & I'd rather use the other equipment so I cut running out completely.
I'm sure a lot of you can relate when I say, when I like something I tend to OD a bit on it & get slightly obsessed. Anyone else find a song they like & play it on repeat for days on end, but after a week you get so sick of hearing it you end up hating it? Yeah I do that all the time! So I think I ODd on running & just got sick of it.
But at the beginning of the week I found myself stood in front of the treadmill & I thought I haven't ran in a while, I'll just do a steady 20 minutes & see how I feel. What have I got to lose.
That 20 minutes turned into over an hour & I was absolutely loving it. I remembered why I loved running so much & didn't know how I'd cut it out for so long! So as I had more time during the day to stay in the gym this week I added a run back into the end of my routine. But not having run in over 2 months my body wasn't as used to it as before so I found a got a lot of new muscle aches that I wasn't used too.
I developed the most painful stabbing pain in my hip flexor which pulled every time I ran or lifted up my leg. Driving was very painful for a few days!
And now I've got aches in the arches of both feet. I feel like I'm falling apart!
I'm in 2 minds as to whether to carry on running, but at a gentler/slower pace to work through the aches like you would do a stitch & get my body re-used to running again, or to stop running completely again until the aches go & re introduce it again but run the risk of the pains developing again.
I would love to know if anyone has been through anything similar & have any helpful tips? I would be forever grateful as it's starting to get a pain (literally!)
I'm terrified I'm going to be doing permanent damage, or if it's just general muscle ache & I'm worrying about nothing.
I'll be doing an update on how my new aches & pains go during the week so fingers crossed they go & I'm back to fighting shape!

Until next time,
Love
 

No comments:

Post a Comment